So after sewing points for Nightwing last year, I figured I had Kid Flash pretty set. Cut, hand tack, hand stitch, baste, stitch, serge. Long process but it worked out pretty well:
I made a muslin out of old fabric left over from other superhero costumes and just drew on where I wanted the spikes to go. The hardest part was actually picking which of KF’s Young Justice costumes to go with… I preferred these spikes but I really also liked the shoulder panels on the newer one. In the end I decided to go with the first version because it would be more simple.
The logo was pretty easy. I drew it on A’s muslin body suit and made a pattern from there. the back has double-sided fusing on it, so basically just had to iron it to the front where I wanted it to go.
I actually anticipated A having an issue with wearing a jumpsuit (like what if he had to go to the bathroom?) but he tried to convince me to let him wear the muslin to school so I clearly have found a new avenue for introducing clothing around A’s sensory issues.
So after ironing it on I realised it did this:
MELTED the centre of the front panel….. I did NOT want to take apart the spikes at A’s hipbone, because they would take forever to redo.
I ended up adding another panel across the chest, curved around A’s ribcage, to offset the error without redoing everything. It kind of makes me angry but no one else seems bothered by it.
A’s goggles and ear spikes were spraypainted:
In the back you can see I tested like 8 different kinds of things for the ear pieces, everything from a hollow bouncy ball cut in half to the plastic balls that quarter toys come in, which is what I ended up going with. His lightening ears are just wire and foamcore.
The goggles are Willy Wonka’s TV specs, which were an amazing find because the lenses are already red! Too bad they’re too big for A… I’ll post pics of that soon. I should have boiled the plastic first and bent it a little so A could wear it with elastic. I might try that before the photoshoot.
But they look rad:
the boots. OHHHH the boots. I dont even want to show you the photos.
I bought these white go-go boots for A to wear and they were fine on him. I figured, oh hey I’ll just spray paint them it’ll be GRAND.
I tested a few different paints. The issue was that the top panel of the boots stretched and made everything chip.
I tried to correct this with actual liquid latex and then powder on top, to offset latex’s need to stick to itself, but it just made the boots really dark. The boots he’s wearing in the photos were literally made in twenty minutes before the boys arrived to my apt to get dressed………talk about a rush job!
for emerald city comic-con this year, A’s decided to be Kid Flash from young justice. I actually have been trying to encourage him to stick with just modifying Speedy - I’m doing a lot of traveling and running around this month, leaving me with less time than originally planned to get much done.
more than that though, while I think A has the perfect kid flash personality, i’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around how to clothe a sensory-aware child in what is most likely going to have to be a jumpsuit. this is a potentially huge issue, with bathroom complaints being the least of the worries. A’s never had to wear so much as overalls, so the idea of an entirely unified piece could be a long process to adjust to (and I don’t really have time for that). I’m just not sure of any other way to get the spiked seamline alone KF’s hipbones, unless I overlap some black fabric over the seams or something…
I’m also unsure about the headpiece, because i dont want to over-interface it to keep it stable, and have it look like a store-bought puffy costume situation. A has a difficult time with masks - I can’t see, it’s poking my eyes, it’s too stiff, its too soft, it’s pretty endless. getting him to wear the mask long enough for Speedy’s photoshoot was a small miracle and honestly, it’s not completely his fault. There’s just not a lot of options for kids that look good & work well, other than leather. the boys’ mom & I have discussed adjusting A to things on his face with weighted bean bags and watersoaked towels, with the hope to eventually make a mold of his eyes/forehead. it would make things so much easier, mask-wise, but the idea of molding any child’s face, let alone a kid who can hardly handle a haircut (you’re cutting me! it hurts!) is just a bit far-reaching I think.
I’ll have to experiment, I guess, because A is pretty adamant on being KF. hopefully the excitement over being Wally will make him more open to trying new things… like with Robin & the tights.
I am, however, pretty stoked about the boots we purchased for A to adjust to back in November. They have a bit of a cowboy boot heel to them, which required a lot of explaining (even boys wear cowboy boots etc), but as far as comfort and walking, A’s adjusted to them pretty well. I’m glad I started that months ago, though it’s been a month or so since the last time I had him in them. Hopefully they still fit.
I haven’t really talked to Lo about ECCC yet, mostly because I would really like him to stay as Astro Boy, since I didn’t get a chance to really complete all the things I had planned for it (namely, the arm laser gun and a better headpiece), but I have the distinct feeling that because one twin is getting a new costume, the other will want one also… bad news with only a few weeks to make clothes, haha. looks like I won’t be convincing him that he’s basically Damian Wayne (but i really want to).
open to suggestions! >_>